Reading time: 2 minutes

The advice from the Government’s coronavirus guidance is that “Supply teachers, peripatetic teachers and other temporary staff can move between schools. They should ensure they minimise contact and maintain as much distance as possible from other staff.”

Having cover for teachers away from the classroom is essential in the modern climate – and this could become one of the worst years for sick leave ever seen around the world.

How can ensure you have the necessary holiday cover while meeting specific guidelines. This blog post explains.

Teachers self-isolating

The National Education Union states:

The NEU expects all employers to act in line with ACAS advice and provide full pay for all such absence, regardless of contractual entitlements. This applies whether you are self-isolating as a precaution due to symptoms or self-isolating as a result of having been contacted by the NHS Test & Trace Service. Assuming you are fit to work, you should arrange with your employer what work you can do while at home.

On pay they state:

Your sick pay entitlements will be set out in your contract. The NEU will expect all employers to continue to act in line with the current ACAS advice and provide full pay for all sickness absence, regardless of employees’ actual entitlement, and disregard such absence for the purpose of sickness absence management. Otherwise, employees who are unwell with COVID-19 symptoms may simply try to come into work, increasing the risk of transmission.

Ultimately it is in the teacher and the school’s best interests if self-isolation is undertaken (as well as being in law). But it means that the school will require a contingency for holiday cover.

Coronavirus guidelines for supply teachers

 The Department for Education guidelines states that supply staff and peripatetic staff can work in more than one school.

Each school has a commitment to keep staff and pupils away from those in other “bubbles”.

In the instance where you are working for two schools, and are asked to self-isolate by one, you must do so and not attend the second school. You can claim statutory sick pay if you are self-isolating if you have been contacted by the NHS.

What else can school use as a contingency for learning?

EDClass can support schools who have staff and groups of pupils self-isolating.

Our range of 11,000 lessons can be tailored to the needs of a specific pupil or pupil, and a wide range of lessons are available.

Live and recorded lessons are available, alongside presentations, assessments, quizzes and tasks to engage the learner.

Importantly, user of the EDClass system are fully safeguarded with mechanisms such as alerts, chat functionality, access to charities, questionnaires and eyes-on learning where staff can identify any issues via webcam.

Click here for a free demonstration.

EDClass can be contacted on 01909 568 338.